One thing I do while developing Drupal sites is make frequest trips to the "Recent Log Entries" page (admin/reports/dblog) to see what kind of trouble any custom code (or rouge themes and modules) I've added is causing. It is a quick "sanity check" to make sure things are moving in the right direction.
A pet peeve of mine when using a custom theme has always been the "page not found" log entry for the "favicon.ico" file. When using a custom theme (or an overridden favicon.ico file), while Drupal outputs the correct path for the link tag that specifies the file, some browsers still look for the favicon.ico file on the root of the web site. Normally, I "fix" this issue by making a duplicate of the favicon.ico file and placing it on the root of the site.
I have a new client that has hired me to build a small, Drupal-powered web site for his scholarship foundation. Since the site is very straight-forward and not slated to go live for a few weeks, I decided to see if I could build the site using Drupal 6. The big challenge is seeing if I can get all of the image functionality working (and stable) using the bevy of development- and alpha-versions of the necessary modules.
The idea is to be able to add an image field to the standard story and page content types and use ImageCache and Lightbox2 to display the images. As of this writing, the required modules are at various stages of development:
- CCK: 6.x-2.0-rc6
- Lightbox2: 6.x-1.8, but only the development version is working with CCK2 at this time.
- ImageCache: 6.x-1.0-alpha2
- ImageField: 6.x-3.0-alpha2
- ImageAPI: 6.x-1.0-alpha2
- FileField: 6.x-3.0-alpha4
In my previous two posts, I discussed how I implemented dynamic markers and the PdMarker custom marker type into the home page for OffRoadAtlas.com. The final major GMap customization I added was the ability of the map to automatically center and zoom on the user's location based on their IP address. The solution isn't always perfect (depending on the user's internet access provider), but more often than not, it gets pretty close.
When you first hit the home page of the site, you'll see that the main content area is separated into two main sections: the narrow column to the left of the map (I call this the "info column") and the map itself.
I recently upgraded OffRoadAtlas.com with a custom map interface based on the GMap module. I was able to do this while leaving the GMap module is virtually un-hacked (with the exception of modifying the "GMAP_API_VERSION" variable) - all of the customizations were made via an additional "helper" module that was written specifically for this site.
The site utilizes a map on the home page that shows all the off-roading areas and clubs in the database. The problem I was trying to solve was that I didn't want to have to load all 1,500+ points each time the home page was hit. Not only was this a waste of resources, but it also slowed things down considerably for the user.